The Baily Lighthouse was built in 1814 on a rocky promontory on Howth overlooking Dublin Bay. It was at this location that the Norse Vikings fled to regroup after the Battle of Clontarf in 1014 and the Norman invasion in 1177. The lighthouse looks out over the main shipping channel between Dublin to the UK. Over the years hundreds of ships and thousands of lives have been lost to the sea, including The Dublin Packet Steamer in 1846 which ran into nearby cliffs. In 1667 it was decided to build a light signal here to warn ships of the danger at night. In 1996, the lighthouse was converted to automatic operation, and the last of ‘The Keepers’ left in 1997, making The Baily the last Irish lighthouse to go automatic.
Original Oil painting 40 x 30 cms (16 x 12 inches) presented in a white contemporary wooden frame with inner mount.